Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Update on Brake Work

Picts will be coming soon, but basically the project has taken a turn into the 1970s. Let me explain.

The brakes on early CJ5 are based on a design from the 1940s, and most Willy owners agree that they are inadequate. If we simply replace existing parts, we will eventually have a "religious experience" while trying to stop to Jeep. I am all for religion, but not that kind of experience!

So, we are taking a brake design from the 1970s which should do the trick. We are replacing the 9 inch drums with 11 inch drums. Although I would love to introduce disc brakes, we would have to make further sacrifices that I am unwilling to make at this time. The traditional rims would have to be jettison, and I do want to keep the look of a 1957 Willys Jeep.

Anyhow, the parts are on order and I am going to pick up some brake drums and back plates in MA Thurs. / Fri. Hopefully this weekend, the transformation will begin!

No comments: