Friday, August 22, 2008

1959 "Bondo Jeep"

Yes, it is as bad as it looks.....

This is our "Parts Jeep" or as I like to call it the "Bondo Jeep"

For those unfamiliar with the term, Bondo is a compound used to fill rust holes and fix body work. But it should be done in small doses, not an entire jeep!

Anyhow, for that reason this Willys is beyond help. So we will be utilizing certain parts. What it lacks in the body, it makes up in the frame.

We will be using this frame as our foundation. From what I can see it looks better than the 1957 Willys. But as we strip it, we will see how strong it is.

The other major contribution is the engine. It is in several pieces and can be rebuilt. The 1957 has an engine, but I think we want to start with a total rebuild.

Anyhow, the frame, the engine, and a few other parts will be salvaged from this shadow of it's former self.

2 comments:

mattandheather said...

Hey there -

I followed the link from Matthew's website over here. He told me about your little "project"... I'll be watching with interest as it progresses! Once I get some funds to throw at my own Jeep project again, I'll have to start a similar page - it's a great idea!

- Matt Richmond

Jason Wakefield said...

Matt- thanks for the comment! If I can be of any help let me know. We are just wading into it ourselves, but are finding new friends. Should be fun.