Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wakefield Willys Update 3.18

Fuel System

Well, the restoration has taken a bit of a detour. And there is a simple reason for that. The Willys has not been running.

I narrowed it down to the fuel system and began replacing parts. Started with the fuel filter (unbelievably dirty), replaced a fuel line, still nothing. Tested the fuel pump, working fine, it had to be the tank itself.

The tank was full of clay and that was the problem. It also had some pin holes on the top, so I thought I would replace it with another old fuel tank that I had repaired. I had purchased it some time ago when I bought the tailgate.

And this has led to a new axiom.

Axiom => Never replace vintage parts with vintage parts that need to hold fluids.

Even after my repairs, it is leaking somewhere else. I could try and repair it there as well, but will that do it and will I find another leak?

Given that the gas tank sits under the driver seat, and right over the exhaust system, I am going to install a new polyethylene tank.

Lesson learned. Wish I had discovered this when there were sales this past summer. Oh well.

No comments: