Saturday, July 3, 2010

First of many "Tub" repairs

This will probably be the only time I document this process from beginning to end. Too many steps, and too many pictures, as you can see.

For those who are not familiar with the term, the "Tub" is the large body piece that is the entire back end of the Willys Jeep. From the Firewall to the Tailgate, is all one piece. Finding a Tub in great shape is near impossible, so repairs are common. I have many many many little repairs all over the "Tub". This is my first attempt and I am thankful to be near the finish line.

So here is how this develops.

1. Find a bad spot, see if from the "parts jeep" there is a fix using it's "tub". Fortunately for me, I had a panel I could use.

2. Wirebrush the newly cut panel, and unfortunately found some holes in it. And the metal bracket behind was beyond repair.

3. Fabricated a new metal bracket and welded it to the panel. First time for me to have actually welded something and it not be practice. I think I did okay.

4. Grind down the weld spots, and use bondo to smooth out the panel.

5. Prime the panel, (not pictured) and get ready to install.

The installation will be handled in a separate post. A lot of work, but needs to be done. Can not move forward with out repairing the tub in this location. It comes in contact with the fenders, and that has to be repaired before putting them on.

Enjoy!





No comments: