Sunday, July 18, 2010

Wakefield Willys Report 3.10

Body Work

So after the hefty bill at the restoration clinic, I need to do more of the work myself.

The last body piece that needs to be restored, is the grille. Probably the most challenging piece, and difficult to work on. The best for last!

Anyhow, I have 3 grilles, and settled on one to restore. All of them had imperfections, just the nature of parts that are 50+ years old.

In the picture is a technique I learned by watching a video by "Expert Village" I like their tutorials, and I thought this was clever.

Say you have a bad seam or rust holes. Take a piece of copper and clamp it to the finished side and weld the other side along the seam or hole. This will result in the weld to fill the seam but not bond with the copper. I remove the copper, and the finished side looks filled in, nice and smooth. Very cool, and very easy to do.

The picture is before I started welding, you can see the seam and the copper.

Finished the seam and the holes on the grille. Some more wire brushing and we will be ready to prime.

Inching closer to painting.

No comments: